Have Curly Hair? Tips to Take Care of Them During Weather Changes
Having curly hair is a dominant characteristic, which is hereditary. If one’s parents have curly hair, or even one parent does, one will have either curly or wavy hair. The hair care routine, which one often ignores, demands extra attention during the seasonal change. And having curly hair necessitates doing so.
- Seasonal change brings renewed season spirit. Thus it becomes crucial to revisit the hair care routine.
- Managing curly hair during the transitioning season can be a challenging task.
- Apply some curly hair care tips to make one’s curls look fabulous.
To provide one with a better understanding and tips for taking care of curly hair, the leading dermatologist in Delhi and founder of Dadu Medical Centre, Dr. Nivedita Dadu, has shared some crucial insights. Continue reading to learn more.
As humidity and heat constantly vary, managing and tackling curly hair becomes tricky. The tight cuticles of the curly hair cannot retain the moisture, so it ends up absorbing the moisture from the ambience and swells up. It makes the texture of the curly hair appear dry and frizzy and causes damage to cuticles and further swelling. Thus, it becomes extremely important to pay more attention to the hair so that they stay healthy and strong all season.
To avoid such problems during weather changes, below mentioned are some hair care tips shared by the expert doctor for making the curls look great during the humid summer and seasonal changes:
- Keep the Hair Moisturized- As we learned that it is hard for the curly hair type to retain moisture, so there is a need for products that will seal in the moisture after one has hydrated the curls. The hydrating gels can be used to reduce frizz. These gels draw moisture, keeping dry hair moisturized. It helps in retaining moisture and will eventually enhance the curly patterns. Applying gels over the leave-in conditioner is advisable as it will minimize the frizz like a pro.
- Use Emollients to Refresh- An emollient product (soothing product) will help freshen the curly hair and keep it from drying out between washes. Use a gel that will smooth hair, add a shine and act as a protective barrier.
- Balance an Oily Scalp - Seasonal changes are accompanied mainly by oily hair and an oily scalp. Thus, it’s better to start using sulphate-free hair care products on curly hair. Investing in a good shampoo and conditioner will not only assist in keeping the oil in control. It will also balance the scalp's pH levels and prevent any seasonal irritation or allergies.
- Wash Hair Twice a Week - To keep the scalp clean, wash the curly hair at least 2-3 times a week. If the scalp feels itchy and flaky, go for the shampoo containing keto-conazole. This medicated shampoo helps to treat fungal infections. It is advisable to consult a dermatologist in case of fungal infection or prolonged itching or dryness.
- Reduce Heat Damage - During seasonal change, there is a high rise in the temperature. Curly hair is already exposed to high heat, and using heat styling products will make them look drier and damage them more. Thus, avoid using heat-styling equipment when the temperature rises. Nevertheless, if one is still willing to use the heating equipment to make the curly hair look less frizzy, then it’s wiser to control the damage by using a potent serum as a heat protector.
- Refrigerate Conditioners and Stylers- For having a refreshing wash and wear, refrigerate the stylers and conditioners. It will give curly hair an ultra-cool experience. This experience will encourage the cuticle to close. Choose hair care products that have an acidic pH, as it helps the cuticles stay closed.
- Avoid Curly Hair Bleaching - It’s better not to go for a drastic hair color change. More specifically, the ones which involve bleaching the curly hair. The use of harsh chemicals during seasonal changes will dehydrate the hair even more.
- Use Humectant-filled Hair Care Products- Humectant-filled hair care products contain hydrating components such as honey, wheat protein, fructose, sorb-itol, glycerin, panth-enol, etc., which keeps the curly hair look less wavy and more smooth and attractive.
If one is dealing with any hair-related issues like hair thinning, hair loss/fall, baldness, etc., they can get consulted by Dr. Nivedita Dadu, the best doctor for hair treatment in Delhi at Dadu Medical Centre in Delhi, at multiple locations Vasant Vihar, South Delhi & Rajouri Garden, West Delhi. To know more, book an appointment today!